What is Citizens and governance
|The activities carried out in this area are intended to mobilise in a coherent effort, in all their wealth and diversity, European research in economic, political, social sciences and humanities that are necessary to develop an understanding of, and to address issues related to, the emergence of a knowledge -based society and new forms of relationships between its citizens, on the one hand and between its citizens and institutions, on the other.
:: Knowledge based society and social cohesion
- improving generation, distribution and use of knowledge
- options and choices for the development of a knowledge-based society
- variety of paths towards a knowledge society
:: Citizenship, democracy and new forms of governance
- implications of European integration and enlargement
- new forms of governance
- resolution of conflicts and restoration of peace
- new forms of citizenship and cultural identities
The indicative budget allocated to the Thematic Priority Citizens and governance in a knowledge-based society for the duration of FP6 is EUR 225 million.
Links to previous activities:
Work undertaken on FP5 related to this area can be found under the Horizontal Programme Improving human research potential & the socio-economic knowledge-base at