The European Community ("the Community"), represented by the Commission of the European Communities ("the Commission"), itself represented for the signature of this contract by [Mr (name)][Ms (name)], Director-General for [name of the DG] or [his] [her] duly authorised representative,
of the one part
and [name of contractor] ([acronym]), established in [name of State and full address], represented by its legal/statutory/authorized representative[s], [Mr/Ms [insert name], [function], [Mr/Ms [insert name], [function],
of the other part,
(collectively "the contracting parties" )
HAVE AGREED to a project called "[name of project]" to be carried out in the framework of the specific research and technological development programme "[name of specific RTD programme]" (the "specific programme") according to the following provisions.
The contractor1 shall carry out the work set out in Annex I to this contract [up to the milestone specified in Annex I] [up to [specify the milestone]] ("the project") in accordance with the conditions set out in this contract.
Subject to cases of force majeure, the contractor shall use reasonable endeavours to achieve the results aimed at by the project.
1. The terms in italics are used in accordance with the definition given in Article 1 of Annex II to this contract.
1. The duration of the project shall be [insert number] months from [the first day of the month after the last signature of the contracting parties] [insert date].
2. This contract shall enter into force following its signature by the contracting parties.
This contract shall be completed on the date of the final payment of the Community’s financial contribution. However,
- Articles 5, 6 and 8 of this contract,
- Article 2(1) subparagraph (1) points (c), (d), (f) and (h), Article3(4) and (5), Article4(5), Article6, Articles 9 to 12, and Articles 16, and 17 of Annex II to this contract
shall continue to apply after that date to the extent of any limitations specified in those articles.
Article 3 - Estimated costs and maximum financial contribution of the Community
1. The total estimated eligible costs of the project are [insert amount] EUR ([insert amount in words] euro).
2. The Community shall fund the eligible costs of the project in accordance with the table of the indicative breakdown of the estimated eligible costs which follows the signatures affixed to this contract up to a maximum of [insert amount] EUR ([insert amount in words] euro).
Where the eligible costs of the project are lower than the total estimated eligible costs for the project, the Community’s financial contribution shall be limited to the amount which results from the application of the percentages of the financial participation as laid down in the indicative breakdown of estimated eligible costs which follows the signatures to this contract.
3. The Community's financial contribution to the project shall be paid as specified in Article3 of AnnexII to this contract to the contractor's following bank account:
[Contractor's bank details]
The initial advance for the project is fixed at [insert amount] EUR ([insert amount in words] euro).
The total amount of the initial advance and the periodic payments shall not exceed the maximum amount of the financial contribution referred to in paragraph (2) of this article, less a guarantee retention of 15% of the maximum amount of that contribution.
Article 4 – Project deliverables to be submitted to the Commission
1. [[insert number] copies of the reports and [insert number] copies of the cost statements][[insert number] copies of the reports and of the cost statements] required under this contract shall be submitted by the contractor in accordance with Article4 of AnnexII to this contract. The reports shall be in [insert language].
Annex I shall determine the number of copies and the language of drafting of the other project deliverables.
2. The periodic and final report(s) and the corresponding cost statements shall cover [successive periods of [insert number] months from the project commencement date] [a first period ending on [insert date], and thereafter successive periods of [insert number] months].
Where the work is completed before the end of the duration of the project, the final report(s) and the corresponding cost statements shall cover the period ending on that date.
However, and without prejudice to subparagraphs 1 or 2 of this paragraph, the last cost statement shall also cover the period necessary for the drafting of the final report(s) within the maximum time limit of two months as of the end of the duration of the project.
The other project deliverables shall cover the periods set out in Annex I to this contract.
Article 5 - Applicable law and jurisdiction
1. The law of [law of competent authorising officer] shall govern this contract.
2. The Court of First Instance of the European Communities and, in the case of an appeal, the Court of Justice of the European Communities shall have sole jurisdiction to hear any disputes between the Community, on the one hand, and the contractor, on the other hand, as regards the validity, the application or any interpretation of this contract.
Article 6 - Special conditions
[ No special condition applies to this contract.]
[ The following special conditions apply to this contract :]
[The special conditions applying to this contract are set out in its Annex III.]
[In addition to the special conditions set out in Annex III, the following special conditions shall apply to this contract :]
This contract, including the annexes thereto, may be amended only by written agreement between the authorised representatives of the contracting parties. No verbal agreement may be binding on the contracting parties for this purpose.
Any request for amendment must be sent to the Commission at least two months before the expiry of the duration of the project.
Article 8 - Final provisions
1. The following annexes are an integral part of this contract:
Annex I - Description of work
Annex II - General conditions
[Annex III - Special conditions]
2. In the event of any conflict between Annex I and any other provision of this contract, the latter shall take precedence.
[3. The special conditions set out in [Article6][Annex III][Article 6 and Annex III] to this contract shall take precedence over any other provisions].
Article 9 - Signature and language of the contract
[number (minimum two)] copies of the contract in [insert language] shall be signed by the contracting parties and only that language version shall be authentic.
Done at Brussels/Luxembourg,
On behalf of [name and acronym of the contractor]:
Name: (written out in full)
(stamp of the organisation)
On behalf of the Commission:
Name: (written out in full)