Towards the new EU Research Framework Programme 2007-2013
Brussels, 7 April 2005
- Janez Potocnik, Member of the European Commission Responsible for Science and Research
- Commission's proposal for the 7th EU Research Framework Programme 2007-2013
- Thursday, 7 April 2005, press conference at 12:15
- European Commission press room
Rue de la Loi, 1040 Brussels
The European Commission should adopt on 6 April 2005 its proposal for the EU's 7th Research Framework Programme 2007-2013. This will launch the co-decision procedure for the adoption by the Council and the European Parliament.
Research is at the heart of the Lisbon agenda for growth and competitiveness. Together with education and innovation, they make up the 'knowledge triangle'. Hence the Commission has put forward an ambitious proposal for the new EU research Framework Programme. It proposes a significant increase in funds available for research and development, creates a European Research Council and seeks to streamline instruments and procedures.
The 7th Framework Programme will be organised in four specific programmes:
- Cooperation. Support will be given to research activities carried out in trans-national cooperation, from collaborative projects and networks to the coordination of national research programmes.
- Ideas. An autonomous European Research Council will be created to support "frontier (basic) research" carried out by individual teams competing at European level, in all scientific and technological fields, including engineering, socio-economic sciences and the humanities.
- People. Activities supporting individual researchers, referred to as "Marie Curie" actions, will be reinforced with the aim of strengthening the human potential of European research through support to training, mobility and the development of European research careers.
- Capacities. Activities will be supported to enhance research and innovation capacity throughout Europe:: research infrastructures; regional research driven clusters; stimulating the research potential in the EU's "convergence" regions; research for and by SMEs; "science in society" issues; international co-operation.
You are cordially invited to attend the press conference which will take place at 12:15.
NOTE FOR EDITORS
For additional information on this press event, please contact:
Press and Information Officer, Research DG, European Commission
Tel: +32.2.295 99 71 Mobile: + 32 475 734 998 Fax: +32.2.95 82 20
Email: Contact form
Spokesperson for Science and Research, European Commission
Tel: +32.2.296 99 21
E-mail: Contact form
For additional information on the 7th Framework Programme:
The FP7 Service on CORDIS
CONFIRMATION OF ATTENDANCE, IMPORTANT
To confirm your attendance, please send e-mail or fax back form to:
Fax: +32.2.95 82 20
Email: Contact form